For the energy sector, Fichtner offers wide-ranging technical, commercial and economic expertise. Our international experience in very differently organized energy markets means that we are an energy sector consultant with a global reputation, addressing all of today’s issues, ranging from procurement of energy to its efficient utilization.
Planning of thermal power plants is Fichtner’s traditional core business and, over decades, we have accumulated expertise from hundreds of technical planning and engineering projects. We also develop solutions for power transmission projects and electrical facilities. We additionally provide consultancy services for oil and gas enterprises.
- Conventional Power Plants
Conventional Power Plants
When planning thermal power plants, our clients put their trust in our decades of experience in all classical planning tasks, ranging from conceptual development through to site supervision and management of commissioning. Fichtner handles all contract sections, from civil and process engineering through mechanical engineering and up to electrical and I&C engineering.
Our in-depth knowledge of all influencing factors, processes and planning steps provides the basis for optimizing operation and evaluation of existing plants.
Alongside cutting edge technology and general economic efficiency, environmental protection and sustainability are a focus of our increasingly complex planning and consultancy services. Additionally, higher standards of plant safety and operator-friendliness and, in particular, on-time completion within budget requires today the utmost care and attention by our teams of experienced experts.
Principal power plant types:
- Steam, gas turbine and combined cycle power plants
- Hard coal- and lignite-fired power plants
- Dual-purpose seawater desalination and power plants
- Industrial power plants
- Waste-to-energy plants
- Reciprocating engine power plants
- Packaged CHP plants
- Power Transmission and Distribution
Power Transmission and Distribution
Planning and optimization of facilities for power transmission and distribution belong to our core activities. In this connection, we also develop tailored all-inclusive solutions for AC and DC power transmission on all voltage levels. Relevant technologies are overhead lines, cables and gas-insulated transmission lines (GIL) as well as transformer substations, open-air switchgear and gas-insulated switchgear (GIS).
In addition to electrotechnical and network studies, we assist our clients in grid expansion planning and optimization of grid operations. We prepare calculations for network protection concepts. Subsequent to power failure analyses, we work out graded packages of countermeasures.
When tying HVDC transmission lines into existing three-phase networks, grid operators profit from our experience in creating and applying appropriate models. On an international level, Fichtner is a qualified and reliable partner for challenging HVDC projects and we have, for example, assisted clients in deploying VSC technology.
In the context of power supply, alongside tasks for transmission grids we also work out solutions for site power systems, process I&C specifically for power plants, and power system management.
Principal installation types:
- Electrical networks
- HV and EHV grids
- SCADA systems
- Information and communication technology (ICT)
- HVDC systems
- Grid control systems / SCADA
- The Energy Economy
The Energy Economy
Right from the founding of our company, our engineers have been concerned with energy sector themes. Thus we address fundamental energy-economic concerns under economic, commercial and technical aspects. For example, we assist energy supply utilities, development banks, state agencies and ministries in investigating how to reliably meet the future growing energy demand, also under consideration of the political and social environment. For this purpose, energy-economic market studies are prepared and government incentive programs are analyzed, evaluated and further developed.
We support industrial clients with our knowledge of commercial, technical and ecological interrelationships by analyzing, for example, their demand profiles and investigating possible savings potentials through optimizing energy purchases.
- Energy-economic studies
- Techno-economic analyses and feasibility studies
- Expert assessor for arbitration proceedings in the gas market
- Master plans and roadmaps for energy supply
- Consultancy, monitoring and evaluating political incentive instruments
- Market and tariff studies
- Electricity price forecasts
- Analysis of power plant competitiveness
- Integrated infrastructure concepts
- Process I&C and Network Management
Process I&C and Network Management
When constructing and rehabilitating environmental protection and process production facilities with their infrastructure, we handle all tasks involving automation technology including safety-oriented functions, for example up to SIL certification. This includes equipping the control rooms for process and operation management with state-of-the-art I&C systems and other ancillary installations.
For load dispatch and network control centers in transmission grids and power distribution systems, we plan the grid control systems. For these planning tasks, likewise considered among others are higher-level decision and optimization functions; energy and distribution management systems (EMS and DMS); substation SCADA; switchgear control systems; workforce and operations management systems (WFM, OMS); geographical and equipment information systems (GIS, EIS); and secondary and tertiary control in the power grid with associated telecommunications systems, including remote reading (smart metering) of meters in transformer substations and at retail consumers.
In this connection, we also pay particular attention to the critical cybersecurity aspect of these systems in compliance with the current standards ISO/IEC 27001, DIN SPEC 27009 and ISO/IEC TR 27019, through support in the development and adoption of an information security management system (ISMS), and by systematic hardening of all system components.
- Handling automation and I&C systems with all interfaces
- Project management and governance
- Migration and replacement of I&C systems
- Conceptual planning and basic engineering for I&C systems, including estimates and CAPEX calculation
- Drawing up technical specifications and compiling product requirement dossiers
- Bid evaluation with recommendation of the most favorable bidder
- Detail engineering
- Checking and approving functional specifications and other documents submitted by the supplier
- Site supervision and overseeing project execution for I&C installations
- Project tracking and compilation of documentation
- Energy Storage
Against the backdrop of the expansion of renewable energies, energy storage is gaining in significance. Thanks to its know-how, Fichtner can offer services to cover all relevant storage technologies. These range from established technologies, like pumped storage hydropower, through battery storage, up to innovative concepts like molten metal and hydrogen storage.
We support investors, banks and private companies in assessing energy storage projects under technical and commercial aspects. Alongside technical analyses, we model relevant markets for storage facilities, like the balancing power and electricity markets. For ministries and other institutions, we determine the potential of storage technologies and assess their suitability for a range of application scenarios.
The Fichtner Group possesses the know-how and the tools needed to tackle interdisciplinary assignments for all relevant storage technologies throughout the various project phases.
- Feasibility studies for the application of energy storage technologies
- Layout design, planning and plant design
- Tendering and bid evaluation for battery storage facilities
- GIS-based and automated determination of potential, e.g. for pumped storage hydropower on the basis of topology
- Evaluation of economic performance: modeling the storage facility and its deployment together with income streams, e.g. balancing power market prices, electricity market spreads etc.
- Energy Management
Our experts develop and implement optimization solutions throughout the energy process chain. For this purpose, for example, load forecasts are prepared, power plant dispatch is optimized and general energy data management is adopted.
If our clients wish, we also implement an energy management system (EnMS) in accordance with ISO 50001. As internal auditors and partners, we assist our clients in obtaining ISO 50001 certification through an external certifying agency.
- Load forecasts
- Optimization of power plant dispatch
- Energy data management
- Implementation of energy management systems
- Setting up energy management systems (EnMS) in accordance with ISO 50001
- Creation and implementation of an EnMS
- Preparation for your ISO 50001 certification audit conducted by an external certifier
- Energy Efficiency
On the levels of the German national economy and internationally, energy efficiency is a central component of the energy policy reorientation, with the greatest energy savings and cost reduction potentials currently to be found on the user side. For all energy applications, the question arises of whether energy sources are being used efficiently and if unnecessary energy consumption could be avoided. Alongside households, industry and the public sector, the possibilities for promoting energy efficiency concern above all commercial enterprises.
Fichtner’s experts provide extensive consultancy for energy efficiency. Whether this be for power generation, in production facilities, in commerce or in construction and buildings, we prepare energy analyses and undertake energy audits for our clients.
- “Energy consultancy in small and medium enterprises” in accordance with the Federal German Office of Economics and Export Control (BAFA)
- Conducting energy audits under the Law on Energy Services (DIN EN 16247-1)
- System efficiency concepts for all energy sources, economic sectors, organizational units and accounting areas
- Analysis of a company’s entire energy situation, including building envelope, building services and fire protection
- Identification of optimization potentials with regard to energy use and energy purchases
- Oil & Gas
Oil & Gas
In the oil and gas sector, Fichtner offers planning and consultancy for gas and oil transportation, like LNG and LPG installations. Liquefied natural gas offers the possibility of worldwide shipping and thus of greater flexibility in selecting transportation routes. The required technical installations that have to meet the most stringent safety regulations are a challenging planning task for our engineers.
For due diligence and M&A consultancy, our experts turn their attention to technical, environmental and economic facility appraisal in connection with purchasing and selling assets.
In the oil & gas sector, Fichtner offers engineering services ranging from conceptual and permit planning through front end engineering design (FEED) and detail planning, up to site supervision.
Principal facility types:
- Pipeline systems
- Power plant connection lines
- Gas treatment facilities
- Compressor and pumping stations
- Onshore and offshore gas landing terminals
- Boil-off gas handling facilities
- Liquefaction and re-evaporation plants
- Gas storage